Protect yourself from fraud
21 January 2020
Tips to help you protect your personal information.
Identity theft is one of the most common crimes in Australia, with an estimated one in four people a victim at some point during their life*.
Protecting your personal information from fraud is very important as the impacts, including financial loss, can be substantial and last many years.
We’ve put together some tips to help you protect your personal information, particularly online where criminals often get hold of personal details.
- Use strong, unique passwords for each account, change passwords regularly and don’t share them with anyone.
- Keep your computer and devices updated to protect your personal information.
- Don’t use Wi-Fi hotspots (e.g. at airports) when you are doing personal, financial or sensitive tasks on the internet as many Wi-Fi hotspots are not secure.
- Regularly check your account statements — not just for your bank accounts check all accounts including your super, other financial accounts, phone and internet accounts.
- Don’t reply to or click on links in suspicious emails.
- Dispose of unwanted documents securely.
- Limit the personal information you share online and on social media sites.
- Lock your letterbox and if you’re worried about someone stealing your mail choose to get important mail like account statements online.
Our online portal MemberAccess is a safe and secure way to keep track of your BUSSQ account. Register for MemberAccess and go to the Personal Details tab to opt in for e-statements or call us on 1800 692 877.