2020-21 investment market update
26 July 2021
This financial year we have delivered for members our highest return in over 10 years.
Our Balanced Growth Super option achieved a 10 year high of 17.28% and our Balanced Growth Income account option returned 16.61% for the 2020-21 financial year. The performance of these options was driven by a strong recovery in share markets.
Through the year we saw a significant rebound in returns across global share markets and the focus for markets change from recession to recovery as central banks across the world added stimulus to economies with a “whatever it takes” approach.
Investment markets have also been impacted by a number a key events over the past 12 months including:
- Australian and global economies going into recession
- Unprecedented Government and central bank action
- Regions returning to lockdown multiple times in response to COVID-19
- Tensions between Australia and China increasing and impacting Australian exports
- The US election and the violent invasion of the Capitol Building in Washington D.C.
- The local economy recovering and Australian Shares returning 28% this financial year as a result
We are not out of the woods yet. Looking ahead there are still concerns about how COVID-19 hospitalisations and vaccination rates, inflation, central bank policy and continued trade tensions with China will impact investment markets in the 2021-22 financial year.
Strong long term returns
We’re focused on delivering over the long term and we have continued to deliver strong long term returns for our members.
|Investment option||2 years
| 36 years*
|Balanced Growth Super||9.62%||8.02%||8.48%||8.86%||9.70%|
|Balanced Growth Income account||8.97%||7.62%||8.68%||9.55%||-|
* Average return since inception is after fees and applicable taxes and based on the performance of the Balanced Growth fund from 1985 calculated at 30 June 2021. All returns stated are net of fees and applicable taxes Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. This information is general advice only and does not take into account or consider your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Prepared by BUSS (Queensland) Pty Ltd (ABN 15 065 081 281, AFSL 237860) as Trustee for BUSSQ (BUSSQ Fund, ABN 85 571 332 201).