Accessing My Super - BUSSQ

Accessing my super

BUSSQ is required to meet Government legislation about how and when our members can access their super. Learn more.

Financial Hardship

  • Withdrawal of a maximum of $10,000 before tax (if you have this much available in your account).

To qualify you have to:

  • Have been on Newstart or another income support payment for 26 weeks, and
  • Prove that there are outstanding debts and/or that income is less than living expenses.

To apply you need to:

  • Obtain a Q230 letter from Centrelink or give us permission to verify your payments electronically
  • Be able to prove that you are unable to meet immediate living expenses, pay for bills and debts, and
  • Call us on 1800 MY BUSSQ (1800 69 2877) and make a claim over the phone, or complete an Application for Early Release of Benefit (PDF 889.1KB) form and return it to us with your supporting documents.

If your debts are to family or friends, then we require a statutory declaration stating the loan amount, reason and repayment arrangements, as well as proof that the money was loaned such as bank statements or receipts.

Different conditions may apply if you are over your preservation age, or if you receive a pension from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Compassionate Grounds

  • You can generally claim as much as you can prove that you need
  • You need to apply through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) by calling 13 10 20.

To access your super on compassionate grounds you will need to apply through the Department of Human Services (DHS) based on one of the following compassionate grounds:

 The amounts that can be released for each of these grounds vary, and additional conditions may apply. For more information call the ATO on 13 10 20 or visit


How to make a claim

You can find all the instructions to make a claim to the ATO on their website here.

Once BUSSQ has received your approval letter from the ATO we will contact you to arrange payment.


Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD)

If you are unable to work due to an illness or injury you may be entitled to claim your super. You may also have a TTD insurance benefit attached to your BUSSQ account. See more information about TPD claims.

Terminal Illness  

If you have a Terminal Illness, which two medical practitioners (including one who is a specialist) have certified is likely to result in your death within 24 months, you are able to access your super. If you have a Terminal Illness you are able to withdraw your super tax-free and there is no requirement that you leave work in order to make a claim. You may also be entitled to a terminal illness insurance benefit, however to receive this benefit you will need certification that your condition will result in your death within 12 months. If you close your account before you receive this 12 month certification you will forfeit your Terminal Illness insurance benefits.

If you believe you may be entitled to a TPD or Terminal Illness benefit please call us on 1800 MY BUSSQ (1800 69 2877) to commence the claim process.

Balance Under $200

If you have less than $200 and have left your BUSSQ employer, you can withdraw your balance without tax.

Unrestricted Non-Preserved Super

You may have unrestricted non-preserved money in your account if you have previously met a condition of release and not withdrawn all the available money. You may also have unrestricted non-preserved super if you made personal contributions to your super before 1 July 1999.

To make a claim on the items above complete a Withdrawing My BUSSQ Super  (PDF 239KB)


First Home Super Saver Scheme

Information about having money released from your super to buy your first home can be found here.  


Transition to Retirement Income account

If you are over preservation age and still working, a Transition to Retirement Income account may be able to pay you up to 10% of your account balance each financial year.

If you are interested in this see more information about Transition to Retirement, or call us and ask to speak to one of our financial planners.


You are eligible to make a retirement claim if you permanently retire after your preservation age, or leave a job after age 60. After age 65 you can access your super anytime, even if you are still working.

If you are retiring, we suggest you consider a BUSSQ Income account. A superannuation pension can pay you an income stream so it feels like you still have a salary, and there are some great tax advantages to leaving your money in super too.

You can even take lump sums out of a superannuation Income account to help with the big expenses like holidays or buying a car. Speak to one of our financial planners about making your super work hard in retirement.

For more information see Income accounts, or call us on 1800 MY BUSSQ (1800 692 877) and ask to make an appointment to speak to a financial planner.

Departing Australia Superannuation Payment

If you enter Australia on an eligible temporary resident visa and subsequently permanently depart Australia you may be able to withdraw your super.

Apply for departing Australia superannuation payment or call us on 1800 MYBUSSQ (1800 692 877)

Transfer to KiwiSaver

If you leave Australia permanently to live in New Zealand you may be able to roll your Australian superannuation into your New Zealand KiwiSaver account. Contact your KiwiSaver provider to get the forms required.

Please note that BUSSQ cannot accept transfers into the fund from KiwiSaver accounts.

For more information about making a claim call us on 1800 MYBUSSQ (1800 692 877).